Amourence Lee · LIKE IT IS with MAYOR LEE
top of page

Invest in the MLK Community Center

Screen Shot 2023-07-13 at 2.31.33 PM.png

The Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center in the North Central neighborhood of San Mateo was built nearly 50 years ago and is past the end of its life span. The Center needs investment and modernization, including the pool which is an integral part of the Center. Every year, nearly 800 children learn life-saving swimming skills at highly subsidized rates. 

Mayor Amourence Lee and Supervisor Noelia Corzo are both from North Central. Our kids, friends, families, and neighbors learned to swim in the King Pool. We are asking the community to join our effort to invest in the Center.

As elected leaders, we support the City of San Mateo's request for federal funding from our Congressmember Kevin Mullin and U.S. Senators Alex Padilla and Dianne Feinstein. The City is applying for an estimated $1.5M congressional grant to help cover the cost of modernization of the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center to ensure that this essential recreational facility remains open in San Mateo.

The congressional grant could cover an estimated 25% of the cost of renovation of the Center and the City of San Mateo would fund the remaining 75%. If approved, the project design could begin as soon as FY2023-24.

UPDATE: July 13, 2023

Thanks to Representative Mullin and the 100+ community members who spoke up, the House Committee approved $850,000 in funding to renovate the Center. We asked for $1.5M, but the GOP-controlled House made sweeping cuts to all community projects.

We are one step closer. Please sign our letter of appreciation for Representative Mullin and share your support for Senator Padilla’s efforts to push for $1.5M.

Every dollar will help save lives!

Sign your name to the letter of support to invest in the Community Center

Thank you for your support!

Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 1.43.09 PM.png
bottom of page